Saturday, November 6, 2010

JULY 2010--I AM NOW 22 YEARS OLD!

July 26, 2010

I wrote down a bunch of stuff to tell you guys, but I forgot to bring my planner.  Oops!  This week was one of those weeks that I felt unworthy to see and be a part of all the miracles we saw.  I’ll try to explain…..

There is a member here named Sergio Peralta, a father of three children, and his wife has caner.  They recently moved here from another part of Argentina.  He recently retired and he’s gotta be barely 40.  He was a Bishop in his last ward and has been without a calling here in our ward for months now.  He is using his efforts to help the mission force.  Us.  He came with us to visit three of our investigators that we are worried about—the two little boys and David, our 51 year old miracle investigator who has a stronger testimony that I do.  The little boys had problems because the dad is now interfering and won’t let them leave to go to church and activities.  David’s wife is not a member and thinks Mormonism is a cult.

Anyway, Hermano Peralta came with us and we visited all of them.  The lessons we had were so much better because they listened to him and I could see the power of the priesthood and authority he has and how the people listened to him.  Sometimes the people are just sick of the flavor we give off and need a new taste to open their eyes and that’s what he did. 

Jessica came to church yesterday and is doing amazingly well.  We are also teaching two families.  Yes, two complete families.  In one family the parents need to get married and they have two kids.  The other family has six kids.  They came to church yesterday.  It was awesome. 


July 19, 2010

Yesterday it rained ALL day, but we still had four investigators in sacrament meeting.  The two little boys that we are teaching and their mom came.  We also had an older guy named Saul come.  He’s about 80.  I dunno if I wrote you about him.  He was a contact in the street.  I just started talking to him and we taught him then and there and he came to church.  He was asked to say the prayer and when he prayed he said that his life changed that day—that day being yesterday.  We invited ourselves over for lunch tomorrow and I am going to try to cook flan and we are going to invite him to be baptized.

The two little boys are getting baptized in two weeks.  They love church.  I love them.  It has been so cold here the last few weeks.  I will be excited for it to get warm again, but they tell me that won’t happen til September.


July 12, 2010

Last night about ten o’clock-ten thirtiesh we are supposed to go to bed and our thermo tank went out (provides us with hot water).  So we called the Bishop of the elders’ ward cuz he’s in charge of fixing the penches in our area.  He gets to our pench at like eleven fifteenish and helps me light it.  He leaves.  Then it goes out again so he came back up the elevator and we lit it again.  Well, something happened this time and gas and flames started shooting out all around it.  He wouldn’t even go in to turn the gas off.  I was like, who’s going to do it?  You or me?  Then it stopped and went out.  Anyway, we have gas problems!  We’ve had one of those alarm things that we have on the houseboat for that type of gas that you can’t smell.  I can’t remember what it’s called.  But we have one of those and the alarm goes off sometimes and we have to book it out of our pench.  A guy is coming in like an hour to fix it.  Satan wants me and my comp dead.

I’ve been buying sliced meat to make sandwiches, right?  I found out this week that the meat I’ve been buying is HORSE meat!!!  I’ve been eating horse.  They slice it and make it look like ham.  They call everything here ham, but it’s all different kinds of random meats and they just generalize.  So to my surprise, I’ve been eating horse!



WHAT'S WITH THE FINGER IN THE CAKE???

It’s my birthday this week.  I don’t want to be 22.  I want to stay 19 forever.  I feel like that was a good age—19.  Twenty-two is old.  But what do you do?

I was reading in the Liahona (the Ensign) and it had a list of all the new mission presidents and where they will be serving.  My branch president in the MTC was called to be a Mission President in Japan.  He was the most amazing leader.  He will do a good job!

We have an investigator named David and he is 51, has five kids, and has been an investigator for like a year and a half and we are pulling our teeth to get him baptized.  He has a testimony about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon more than I do.  When he bears his testimony it helps my own and I love it.  He just can’t commit and his wife doesn’t want him to get baptized.  He went to her church this Sunday.  We are having a discussion with both of them Wednesday.  We’ll see how that goes.

We found a family that is amazing and the parents are both listening and the mom and the daughter came to church this week.  The dad said that every time we come visit them, we leave him wondering and on the edge of his seat because there is something that he just can’t put his finger on.  He wants to know if what we are teaching is true and he said he needs to go to our church to find out if it’s true.  Too bad he worked this Sunday or he would have come, too.  They have four boys and a girl and they have so much potential.  We have a family night with them Thursday and we’re going to bring this couple from our ward—the Familia Peralta.  They’re amazing!  They help us so much with the work.




July 5, 2010

This week was average, but an average week for us is pretty eventful—full of wonderful stories everyday.  My new comp and I laugh a lot.  For example the other night we were walking down this street and my skirt got caught on some barbed wire that was on the ground and pulled my skirt right off.  Good thing I had a slip on, eh?

Our investigator, Jessica, is struggling.  For example, the other day Jessica put 50 pesos away to save to go buy groceries because they have no money and she was going to go buy the children food.  Her boyfriend came home and stole the money and bought beer with it so she couldn’t go shopping.

Ariel, who is 32, came to church this week.  He has like super ADD and after the first two hours, I could tell he was losing it.  Anyway, we left him in priesthood with some of the members and afterward we went to look for him.  He was nowhere to be found.  Just got out of there and walked on home.  His house is like 30 blocks from the church.

We have several investigators, but none of them are ready for baptism because of two things:  word of wisdom and the law of chastity.  That’s where Satan’s got the world in his little hands—those two laws. 



No comments:

Post a Comment