Monday, November 15, 2010

NOVEMBER 15, 2010--THUNDER!

There are large bursts of lightning and thunder occurring right now and my computer keeps cutting gout, so we will see how we can get through this.  We had a great week.  I am happy with Hermana Hobbs.  I am happy with my area.  I think we have finally realized the power of scriptures.  We like the scriptures a lot.  I have discovered the Bible dictionary this week and that I like it.  It's a little more interesting to study that way.

Our two families came to church and all have baptismal dates.  Are the members excited?  You bet!  Are we?  Even more!  I dunno if I ever told you guys this, but all the priesthood and their friends have a ping pong and pizza night here and Hobbsy and I go sometimes to get references and I played ping pong last week and I wasn't too rusty.  It was all that practice at the Rice house!

Well, the computers all just cut out again.  Sorry this will probably be short.


November 8, 2010--Here Come the Cops

Funny story this week....We went to Navarro, which is part of our area apart and it is all country land.  We are talking cows, sheep, pigs, etc.  It was extremely hot that day so Hermana Saren Hobbs and I found two sombreros in our pench and decided we would utilize those.  So we get off the bus in "Circleville Number 2" (a reference to another small town) and started walking around in our sombreros.  Some time after lunch we were walking on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and up comes a police car to stop us. The two policemen get out of their car and start asking for our documents and who we are and why we are here and where we came from.  Someone had called the cops on us saying there were two girls who got off the bus this morning wandering around town causing problems and bothering the people.  We were having a good old time talking to everybody in our hats and laughing.  That's what happens in a small town.  I think it was the hats that caused all the attention.

Yesterday we went to church out in Navarro.  They only have church for two hours and we had never been there for a Sunday meeting yet.  We got there and we were six people in total.  The meetings are held in a home.  We began sacrament meeting and I dunno what it was, but being only six people out in the middle of nowhere in an insanely hot little house worshipping together hit me hard.  I bore my testimony and I started to cry and told them that I come from Utah where there are hundreds of people always in one testimony meeting.  But in that little room yesterday, I felt the spirit and it made me think how it was for Joseph Smith and the others when they first organized the church.  I can't wait to see these branches grow out here.

My companion spent several hours this week cutting hair.  It is counted as service.  She cuts hair while I teach, it works out quite well, actually.  We had zone conference this week and we were the only hermanas out of more than 50 missionaries.  All the sisters are basically in the same zone back in capital.




NOVEMBER 1, 2010--Tormenta Blanca

We had a "tormenta blanca" (that's missionary term) in our area.  Every elder in our zone came to our area on Tuesday and we all worked here.  It was amazing.  They found lots of good new people for us to teach.  The only problem is now trying to organize it all and find the people and see who will really progress.  On Wednesday we had what is called el censo.  That's when they count the whole country to see the population.  We had to stay in the pench all day until six.  Hermana Hobbs and I took advantage and cleaned, yet again.  It was nice.  I'll send you pictures of the pench, but you can't really get a good feel for how big it is!

We went out to one of the surrounding towns that is 45 minutes away by bus ride to go work.  It is in our area.  It is out in the middle of nowhere.  Last night we went again and waiting for the bus to come at the bus stop we were watching two guys dressed in European hats trying to catch a horse.  Hermana Hobbs and I didn't think they could do it and we were discussing the probabilities.  Then I said that man has dominion over the animals of the earth.  We laugh alot--she and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment