Saturday, February 19, 2011

December 13, 2010--Small Town


My new comps name is Hermana Claros. We just got done waiting at the bank for about an hour at the atm. All week we have been trying to get money out, but there has always been a huge line in the morning and we never have time and by nighttime, there is no money. There was no money all weekend either. You are probably thinking, “Jill, why don’t you use your credit cards?” Well, here in a small town, there aren’t too many places that take credit cards. The only place is a chino. That’s a grocery store run by Argentines because the Argentine government said all immigrants don’t have to be taxed on their businesses so there was a massive immigration from the Chinese and they put supermarkets all over the country. I remember when I first got here I was so confused. And they don’t really speak Spanish. I thought maybe English, but no luck there either. Anyway, that’s a chino.

Hector baptized his wife and his daughter yesterday. It was…how can I describe it?  It was one of the most fulfilling baptisms I’ve had on the mission. The last two families we have baptized are super strong. When I got here, the ward was about 40 in active existence. Now we have about 46.

President came here during the week last week to have an interview with Vanessa and he talked to me about finding a new place to have church. He found this place on a corner behind the huge Catholic church. I got the number. I just gotta call them. Maybe we’ll get some real estate practice in, too.That would be funny, though, when we invite people to church to say, “We’re just right behind the Catholic church.”

No comments:

Post a Comment